Sunday, March 25, 2007

I Free-Cycle My Quilts

These days many towns including those in my area operate a Free-cycling system. It's an organized network, using the internet to help people who are tired of things they have or have no more use for them, to offer them free for the pickup. It's one of the many ideas emerging from the save-the-planet movement.

It works well because people respond who need or would just like the things offered/ No money changes hands. It's a sort of barter system. The only thing you have to watch for is that an unsavory person might show up. But first you talk on the phone and arrange an off-site meeting place if you have any qualms.

I had two reversible goosedown comforters (red on one side, beige on the other) that I was getting tired of. They were about six years old, boring, and too warm most of the time. So I bought pretty cotton quilts at Target to replace them and daughter said she'd freecycle the quilts for me. Within five minutes she got ten requests and the first person to respond picked them up this morning.

My gain? The new cotton quilts--so comfortable and easy-breathing--instead of the usual insomnia, I now fall asleep under them immediately.

No comments: