Thursday, January 25, 2007

Odds and Ends

Had lunch at the Rustic Hills Country Club today. No we're not members! We don't play golf. Our local women's group gathered there for this month's meeting. I took Paul along because he had a dentist appt at two, and the dentist is only a mile away from the Club. When I told Marilyn the chairman I was bringing a guest she asked, "What's she like?"

I ordered spinach quiche for both of us, and Marilyn said, "Real men don't eat quiche." Well mine does and he loves spinach. They like to have male guests. Afterwards we heard a good Power Point talk by an Akron Art Museum representative on the museum's expansion and Ohio artists in the collection.

For comparative study, the lunch cost $14 each and included coffee and ice cream afterwards. No bread rolls though and that puzzled, because little pats of butter were on the table. The waitress said rolls weren't included in our price. A bit pricey but the tip was also included.

While he was at the dentist (procedure scheduled to take an hour) I combed the sweater aisles at the Goodwill just across the highway, looking for good labels, new or nearly new. I'm wearing one right now. It's from The Gap, loose and comfortable, wool mixture, gray tweedy tones, cleanly washed. The others I'll wash first. It was GW's frequent shopper day , meaning 35% off original price. I got 8 sweaters and they came to $21. That wouldn't nearly pay for one new one at Macy's. Good recycling, don't you think?

We're going to have Paul's grilled cheese sandwiches again this snowy evening with baked beans. His grilled cheezers are the very best--crisp and buttery on the outside and melted in the middle. I'll open a can and supply the beans.

No comments: